South Hadley Preventive Dental Care
Helping patients keep their naturally healthy smiles for life is one the main goals of the dentist and team at Newton Street Dental. That starts with twice a year dental checkups and cleanings, as well as a variety of preventive dentistry services, including patient education about the best at-home hygiene practices. Our South Hadley dental practice offers comprehensive care for patients of all ages. Contact Newton Street Dental to find out more, or to schedule your first appointment with our trusted team.
Checkups & Cleanings
The foundation of every dental plan is visiting Newton Street Dental twice a year for checkups and teeth cleanings. Every checkup at our South Hadley, MA office includes four main parts:
- Diagnostics – We gather X-rays and other diagnostic materials annually in order to have a thorough understanding of the inner and outer workings of patients’ smiles.
- Evaluations – The dentist carefully examines each tooth and the entire oral structure, including screening for tooth decay, gum disease, bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching), temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, and oral cancer.
- Cleanings – Our skilled hygienists carefully remove bacteria, plaque, and tartar buildup from teeth and offer patients recommendations for the best products and practices in at-home hygiene.
- Consultations –Possibly the most important part of every visit is the face to face consultation, where Dr. Douglas Leigh has the opportunity to get to know each patient and his or her dental health goals. He’ll work with you to create a personalized treatment plan.
Nightguards for TMJ/Bruxism Therapy
Our team is proud to offer nightguards for the treatment of TMJ dysfunction and nighttime bruxism. These nightguards are custom crafted to fit each patient’s smile comfortably and effectively. Nightguards create a barrier between teeth to protect them from damage caused by unconscious grinding and clenching, as well as excessive pressure that leads to TMJ dysfunction. We offer a number of nightguard styles to meet any patient needs, and all of our guards are precisely fitted to patients’ smiles.
Oral Cancer Screenings
Oral cancer affects millions of adults in the US, and while tobacco use and excessive alcohol consumption are often risk factors leading to oral cancer, many patients diagnosed do not engage in any of these behaviors. Unfortunately, oral cancer leads to one death every hour, and more than 50% of those diagnosed this year will not live more than five years following diagnosis. According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, early diagnosis and treatment is the best way to decrease the number of annual deaths each year attributed to oral cancer. That’s why Dr. Leigh and his team perform oral cancer screenings as part of every six month checkup.
We welcome kids at our South Hadley, MA dental practice and offer a variety of treatments that grow with your child’s smile, including fluoride treatments, dental sealants, and wisdom tooth extraction. Dr. Leigh and his dedicated team have years of training and experience working with young patients. We are uniquely qualified to handle the dental and behavioral needs of kids. We’re happy to help kids learn to care for their smiles, answer your little one’s questions, and make them feel right at home from the moment they arrive.
Fluoride treatments are a simple way to protect teeth and improve the strength of tooth enamel. Quickly applied as part of any routine dental checkup, fluoride treatments can prevent tooth decay and even reverse decay in the earliest stages. We recommend fluoride treatments for a number of reasons, including:
- Kids who are still developing oral hygiene skills
- Patients who have a history of significant or frequent tooth decay
- As part of a treatment plan for patients who had infrequent professional care in the past
- As part of orthodontic treatment
Dental sealants are another excellent preventive dentistry treatment that is quickly completed as part of any six month dental checkup. A thin coat of sealant is painted on the surface of teeth, sealing out bacteria, plaque, and tartar for up to ten years with proper care. We often recommend dental sealants for young patients, adult patients with deep pits or grooves on the biting surfaces of teeth, and patients with a history of frequent tooth decay.
Part of our dedication to dental technology includes utilizing advanced diagnostic technologies like digital X-rays. Using these advanced technologies, we are able to diagnose oral health issues in the earliest stages. Digital radiography has a number of advantages, including:
- Higher definition images
- Reduced radiation exposure
- Quicker to capture and view
- Easy to transfer digitally to patients, specialists, and insurance providers
- Ability to compare patients’ X-rays from year to year
- No need to store developed X-rays in bulky, physical cabinets